Corn, Cheddar, and Scallion Biscuits ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏
SEPTEMBER 2026
September Gold
Ahhh it’s my favourite month! The golden moment of the year, when the light gets long, but there is still so much warmth in the air, and everything is vibrating from summer’s richness. If I could drink the juice of September forever, I would.
This month I am excited for the sweetcorn harvest, and each recipe I am developing and sharing will celebrate this of-the-moment ingredient. And even though I’m obsessed with it, I was inspired to make something other than cornbread this year. I’ve been seeing some cottage cheese biscuit recipes online and felt intrigued…even though I wouldn’t consider these “high-protein” (11g per biscuit), the cottage cheese does a lot of heavy lifting instead of butter like in classic biscuit recipes. The results are still light and flaky and rich-tasting. Can’t wait for you to try them!
And I have a little round-up of some favourites from my summer travels; a film, a gorgeous Danish textile brand, and the book I just finished reading. As usual, these are all women doing and creating absolutely remarkable things and I love sharing them with you! I hope you find something inspiring for yourself in this issue.
Blessings to you and the month ahead. May it be filled with golden mornings, sunflowers, and fresh biscuits from the oven, slathered with bright yellow butter.
|
|
|
|
|
Corn, Cheddar, and Scallion Biscuits
|
|
Once you have all of your ingredients gathered and prepped, these come together really easily. I was intimidated to make biscuits because I assumed they required a lot of skill, but the secret is actually keeping the dough pretty rough and shaggy - perfect for a novice baker like myself! After a few folds to make create the flaky layers, you just slice and bake - it couldn’t be easier.
They are light and flaky, super savoury, and I absolutely love the different add-ins like corn, sharp cheddar, scallions and jalapeƱo speckled throughout - like little bursts of flavour, a different combo in every bite! This is the perfect thing to make with any leftover cooked corn you may have too.
I used a gluten-free baking flour, but you can substitute with regular bread flour. The cornmeal adds a delicate corn flavour and delightful texture.
These make between six and nine biscuits, depending on how you’d like to cut the dough. Next time I make them, I’ll probably portion them out into eight pieces, since six were really big (however delicious! ;)
|
|
INGREDIENTS
Ingredients:
2 cobs sweetcorn
1 cup / 250ml cottage cheese
1/4 cup milk of your choice, plus more for brushing tops
1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup or honey
2 Tbsp. melted butter or ghee
1 cup / 60g grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
3-4 scallions, finely diced
1/2 jalapeƱo, seeds removed, finely diced (optional)
1 3/4 cup / 225g gluten-free baking flour (sub with bread flour)
1/4 cup / 45g cornmeal
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. fine sea salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
Flaky salt for garnish
DIRECTIONS:
Cut the kernels off the cob - it should equal about 2 cups / 500ml. Heat a little butter or water in a skillet over medium-high heat, add the corn, a pinch of salt, and stir occasionally for 4-5 minutes until the corn is bright yellow and sweet. Set aside and allow to cool. You can also use leftover cooked corn instead.
Preheat oven to 425°F / 218°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Blend the cottage cheese, milk, maple syrup and melted butter until creamy. Pour into a bowl and combine with the cooked corn, cheese, scallions, and jalapeƱo.
In a separate large bowl, mix together all of your dry ingredients. Add the wet mixture until just combined. The dough will be crumbly and looks slightly dry. That’s okay :)
Turn your dough out onto a clean and floured work surface. Use floured hands to combine the dough to make it less crumbly and into more of a dough.
Flatten dough out as much as you can into a rectangle about 2cm / 3/4” thick. Don’t worry about it being too perfect. Fold one end of the rectangle into the centre, and then the other end of the rectangle over it, like a letter.
Flatten dough again into a more narrow rectangle that is again about 2 cm / 3/4” thick. Repeat the process of folding one end into the centre and then the other end over it, and once more (three times total). This is what creates the layers in the biscuits.
Cut the dough into 6 - 9 biscuits. Place on a baking sheet and brush with milk, and sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
Bake for about 25 minutes until tops are slightly brown in centres are set. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before enjoying…say thank you and slather on the butter, yum!
|
|
|
|
|
I watched this short film on the plane home from Denmark, and I thought it was so beautiful. Mataperra is a documentary short directed by Rachel Trudeau, blending dance and mountaineering. It follows Yelda del Carmen, a dancer and climber who returns to her native Cuba to become the first Cuban woman to conquer three legendary rock-climbing ascents in ViƱales. The film frames her physical quest as something deeper than athletic achievement - through the combined presence of dance and climbing, she reconnects with her heritage and explores the bonds between land, people, movement, and enduring love. My favourite line is when she is describing her feeling during climbing: “What interests me the most are these moments of total presence, all of my senses are open, like a wildflower at midday”.
|
|
|
|
When my family goes back to Copenhagen every summer, I always head to this hole-in-the-wall shop for a little wardrobe update. Habiba, meaning “my love” is a Danish textile brand focusing on clothing, housewares, and accessories, all made ethically with organic fibres. The characteristics of all their styles are the little details. The two female owners and designers spend a lot of time developing the right prints, hand illustrating the embroideries, choosing the perfect colour combinations and adding both functional and decorating details to all their products. There is a sense of playfulness and joy in everything they create, and each piece just makes me smile. This time I came away with two pairs of pants, a gorgeous button-down shirt, and two cotton voile scarves. If you can’t get to the physical store, check them out online (especially their sale section for great deals!).
|
|
|
|
Okay y’all, I finished reading this book a few weeks ago and my head is still spinning! Yesteryear is the debut novel by Caro Claire Burke, which you’ve probably seen everywhere this summer. The premise: Natalie is a "tradwife" influencer with a perfectly curated farmhouse life for Instagram - sourdough, homemade jam, a handsome cowboy husband - except behind the scenes there is an entire team making her dream a reality. Then one day she wakes up in a genuinely brutal, primitive version of her life. Same family, but no electricity, filthy kids, a husband who's suddenly an actual competent farmer. She can't tell if it's a reality show, time travel, or some kind of divine punishment. After a serious injury, she decides she has to escape, no matter what. It's a dark, biting satire about tradition, fame, faith, and performing womanhood for an audience. This touched on so many hot topics and really made me think!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
No longer want to receive these emails? Unsubscribe.
Abundance Unlimited Media James St E. Cobourg, Ontario K9A 1H3
|
|
|
|
|
No comments:
Post a Comment