Saturday, June 29, 2024

A Reason to Turn Your Oven On (for Two Hours) + Easy, Delicious Flag Cake & More Recipes for the Week Ahead

Hello Friends,

I have been wanting to learn how to make garlic confit since April, when I tasted the sweet caramelized cloves on a pizza at Rose Pizzeria in Berkeley. I am a garlic lover and don't mind any amount of raw garlic, but I loved the mellow garlic flavor the confited cloves infused in this particular pie.

It turns out garlic confit is shockingly easy to make. Place 1.5 cups of garlic cloves in a pot and cover with 1 cup of extra-virgin olive oil:

Cover the pot and place in a 250ΒΊF oven for 2 hours:

Uncover to find a pot of sizzling, buttery-soft cloves:

I have already enjoyed the cloves on a pizza (see below), and this weekend, today in fact, I'm trying my hand at focaccia dimpled with garlic confit and rosemary. I will report back if it's a success.

Friends, I'm wishing you all a Happy Fourth πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ Next week, if you're entertaining, here are a few ideas, and find a few favorites below.


July Fourth Recipes

Flag Cake (a fun one to do with kids)

Whipped Cream Cream Cheese Frosting — every time I make this frosting, either for the above-pictured flag cake or this birthday cake, or this carrot cake, someone asks for the recipe, always calling out its texture.

Deli-Style Pasta Salad

Classic Italian Dressing + A Chopped Salad

Laura Vitale's Whipped Ricotta with Honey + Pistachios (crowd pleaser!)

The Easiest No-Knead Brioche Buns

4-Ingredient Balsamic-Roasted Mini Peppers

Trader Joe's 3-Ingredient Lentil Salad

Peach-Frangipane Galette (mixed berry galette is a fun one, too)

Blueberry Cobbler

Strawberry Paloma Slushie (great for a crowd πŸŽ‰)


Virtual Cooking Class

On Thursday, August 1st from 6-7:15 pm, I'll be teaching a virtual cooking class on Sicilian and Grandma-style pizzas. I'll be making three recipes from Pizza Night. This class is part of Milk Street's summer pizza series, which includes classes taught by Peter Reinhart and J. Kenji Lopez-Alt.

Use PIZZANIGHT15 for 15% off my class.


Summer Squash Pizza with Garlic Confit, Basil & Burrata

In Friday's pizza newsletter, I shared a recipe for the above-pictured pizza, and I also reviewed my Breville Pizzaiolo, a countertop electric pizza oven. Get the recipe and watch the video here:


Thank You

Thank you to all who have ordered Pizza Night.


5 Free Resources Available to You

Happy Cooking,


Alexandra Stafford



Love what you're reading? Click here to receive an alert every time I post a new recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment