Monday, January 25, 2021

Citrus Sunshine

View this email in your browser
Logo.png
 
 
Monday, January 25, 2021
 
Good morning! At least four times a year, I say "This is my favorite newsletter of the year" which either means 1. I'm lying and/or do not understand how superlatives work. 2. I'm bad at commitment or just extremely forgetful. 3. It's true, or it is at least my truth the day the theme is the most timely. With citrus, it's always a week like this: the kind of cold outside that when I pass a billboard with a scantily-clad model on it, I shiver reflexively and feel bad nobody is offering them a coat, a real and actual thing that happened on Saturday before I (theoretically) came back to my senses. Citrus season is the very opposite of this: sunshine, brightness, warmer places, longer days and it's exactly what January needs a boost of. I hope you find several new favorite ways to cook with it this week.

Cheers,
Deb

 
 
 
Fresh and New
 
HeroImage.jpg
New: A few moderately controversial opinions about risotto led me to this almost stir-free, broth-free, perfectly flavored risotto. The oven does most of the work while you walk away, and delight in your newfound free time. Plus, there's absolutely nothing cozier this time of year.
 
 
Citrus Sunshine
 
HeroImage.jpg
Just when I'm convinced it's going to be all bleak and wintry from here on out, better citrus arrives and everything is a little more luminous again. Here's a favorite salad -- I love it with or for breakfast, and it's pretty stunning with dinner too.
 
HeroImage.jpg
The simplest way to make spaghetti al limone is also my favorite, enlisting an uncooked sauce, but no cream, butter, or other clutter. It's the kind of sunny, triumphant meal I want more of in my winter repertoire.
 
HeroImage.jpg
Fragrant citrus, tangy cheese, deeply toasted almonds, droplets of intense sherry vinegar and fruity olive oil, and a sea salt crunch, all mingle inside an endive boat — I think it's the perfect refreshing handheld appetizer for any upcoming dinner.
 
HeroImage.jpg
Simple roasted cauliflower with four ingredients that I hadn't combined in exactly this way before that became a new instant favorite. Add some sliced avocado, beans, and hot sauce for an unforgettable taco filling.
 
HeroImage.jpg
Do vegetables occasionally seem like a distant memory? Crispy charred broccoli to the rescue! Try one of the suggested riffs (crispy egg and crunchy crumbs! burrata sandwich smash! fish sauce vinaigrette!) and you too can unleash your inner broccoli junkie.
 
HeroImage.jpg
An easy, rustic chicken soup for cozy times -- or times of, ahem, forced coziness. This recipe has built-in flexibility so you can use what you have on hand, but a few of my favorite things (leeks, lemon, herbs, some heat, and even the most barebones of stocks) make it truly excel. I hope it hits the spot.
 
HeroImage.jpg
Carnitas -- those tender bits of pork with caramelized edges and flavor for miles that are the king of taco fillings -- are ridiculously easy to make. Almost as if it knows there's a polar vortex out there and you don't want to go to the store, the ingredient list is spectacularly short, hooray.
 
HeroImage.jpg
A salty-tangy-sweet-spicy steak salad with an emphasis on fresh colorful ingredients has become a staple around here. We serve it assemble-your-own style, so everyone can fix their plates with as much or as little of each element as they wish. I think our weeks will be better with this in it.
 
Citrus Treats
 
HeroImage.jpg
Key lime pie is like an in-kitchen vacation, nothing short of luminous rays of tropical sunshine beaming forth from a graham crust, not to oversell it or anything. It's also astoundingly easy to make. I always forget I'm craving it until it perfectly hits the spot.
 
HeroImage.jpg
A cake so rich and tender, you might forget that it's gluten-free, and so sunny and bright, you might forget that the air outside is so cold it hurts your face. Or, at least forgive it for the duration of your next cake break.
 
HeroImage.jpg
This is my favorite lemon tart. There's no zesting or juicing or orchard worth of lemons required, just one single one that you grind, skin and all, with butter and sugar and eggs into the most gloriously bright and balanced dream of a dessert.
 
 
 
I bet you'd love them both.
 
 
Archive Dive
 
 
plush coconut cake
2 years ago this week
 
 
chocolate dutch baby
4 years ago this week
 
cabbage and sausage casserole
5 years ago this week
 
make your own vanilla extract
6 years ago this week
 
warm lentil and potato salad
7 years ago this week
 
 
buttermilk roast chicken
9 years ago this week
 
baked potato soup
10 years ago this week
 
 
clementine cake
12 years ago this week
 
 
 
 
Unsubscribe
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment