Tuesday, June 25, 2024

How to make THAT recipe work with what you have

Hi reader,

I've mentioned before that I collect meal plans as inspiration for making my own meal plans, but a lot of the time I'll come across recipes that I can't make because I don't have any of the ingredients!

Sure, I COULD go to the store and pick up what I need, but that kind of defeats the purpose of using what I already have to save money, right?

So then, what do you do?

Well, I have a few guidelines that I like to follow.

First, if I don't have 50% or more of the ingredients needed to make the recipe, I skip it.

I'll certainly make a note in my "recipes to try" list, but I won't make it this week.

Second, if I'm missing ONLY the main ingredient (ex: chicken in chicken caesar salad or kale in a kale salad), I try to substitute with what I already have.

I might use pork or beef instead of chicken, spinach or romaine instead of kale.

Third, if I'm missing ONLY a 'side show' item, like one of the vegetables in a soup, I either omit the ingredient and/or add extra of another ingredient.

Very rarely has this ever had a huge impact in the final dish (although, use common sense so you're not using a lot of something that was intended to be used sparingly!).

Fourth, if I'm missing 3+ items, I proceed with caution. At this point, the recipe isn't the same anymore and I could be really messing with the flavors.

It all depends on the recipe of course, since you can swap out all the beans you want in chili and it won't make a difference, but there are only so many substitutions you can make in my slow cooker pot roast before it's no longer a pot roast, LOL!!

What about you reader - how do you make a recipe work with what you already have on hand? Hit "reply" and share your secrets with me!

Blessings,



How we can work together:

• Grocery Budget Mastermind •
$5 membership making healthy food affordable in just FIVE MINUTES per week. Each week saves you $5, making the membership more than free.
Grocery Budget Mastermind


• 30 Minute Dinners •
Over 250 done-for-you meal plans for as low as 35¢/week, customizable to your family size, dietary preferences and busy schedules.
> 30 Minute Dinners

• Grocery Budget Bootcamp •
The only course teaching you exactly how to eat real food on a budget. Learn a proven grocery budgeting system that outsmarts the grocery stores and lets you save money, time, and energy. Graduates from 24+ countries have saved over $20 million - and counting!
> Grocery Budget Bootcamp


• Meal Planning Bootcamp •
Simple course teaching EVERYTHING you need to master meal planning, without the stuff that doesn't really matter (i.e. Pinterest boards) so you can easily decide what's for dinner and be done with it in just 15 minutes.
> Meal Planning Bootcamp


New Posts

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
If you enjoy a recipe, be sure to give it a 5-star rating! (You can also tell us why you love it so much in the comments ♥)
This easy strawberry freezer jam comes together quickly, with just 4 simple ingredients, no fruit pectin, and no refined sugar! Perfectly sweet and spreadable, you'll want to have multiple batches in your freezer.

  Read More Here  
Crispy golden breakfast potatoes make the perfect breakfast on their own or as part of a breakfast bowl. Super frugal and easy to make multiple batches, so you can enjoy a hearty and delicious breakfast all week long.

  Read More Here  
Spicy salmon tacos with a creamy, tangy cilantro slaw, all ready in 10 minutes? Yes, please! This quick and easy salmon tacos recipe is sure to be a family favorite – it's mouthwateringly delicious with just enough of a kick!

  Read More Here  
This homemade pizza dough recipe is so easy to mix up, you'll have better-than-delivery pizza whenever you want! Thin crust or thick, or even made into calzones, this healthy pizza dough is delicious every time!

  Read More Here  
Of all the recipes for pickled red onions, this one is the best! This super frugal pickled onions recipe only takes 5 minutes to make, and you'll have a zesty, tangy topper for everything from burgers to scrambled eggs!

  Read More Here  

No comments:

Post a Comment