Saturday, July 3, 2021

Why do the simplest recipes always steal the show?

Trader Joe's Lentil Salad

Last Friday, I attended my first real "event" since the lockdown. It was my daughter's end-of-year soccer party, held in the backyard of her coach's house. Guests were instructed to bring the sides, and so I made a summery quinoa salad — essentially the "stuffing" of these stuffed peppers.

It was well-received, but what stole the show was a tray of sliders, the recipe for which I immediately began tracking down. (You'd expect nothing less, right?) Turns out it's a recipe from the King's Hawaiian website, made with turkey instead of ham and without the mayo.

I left the party dreaming about those sliders and upon returning home immediately found the recipe online. It's incredibly simple. In sum: assemble the sliders, make a simple sauce from pantry ingredients, pour the sauce over top; then pop in the oven.

I have yet to make the sliders, but this experience reminded me of a similar scenario several years ago in which I was introduced to Trader Joe's 3-ingredient lentil salad (pictured above), which blew my mind then and continues to every time I dump those three magical ingredients into a bowl. I have similar feelings every time I make these 4-ingredient balsamic-roasted mini peppers.

Why are these simple recipes often the most crowd-pleasing? The most show-stopping? Why do we ever make anything else? (If I'm being honest, as I continue dreaming about those sliders, I find myself thinking about how I could complicate them by maybe making the rolls from scratch or turning them into veggie sliders with roasted red peppers and eggplant and perhaps some pickled onions... will I ever learn? But doesn't that sound delicious? I'll keep you posted.)

Friends, I'm wishing you all a Happy Fourth πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ In this post you'll find a few of my favorite dips, salads, and sides as well as a few seasonal desserts and a favorite, festive drink, too πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

PS: The Best Homemade Buns

PPS: In case you missed it, every Tuesday I send out an email with recipes and tips geared toward managing your CSA or farm share. Sign up by clicking here: Farm Share Recipes & Tips. Here's a preview:

Happy Cooking,


Alexandra Stafford



Love what you're reading? Click here to receive an alert every time I post a new recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment