Saturday, July 20, 2024

How to Cook the First Corn of the Season + More Summery Recipes to Make Right Now

Friends, hello from Lake George ๐Ÿ‘‹

Earlier this week I bought the first local corn of the season, a dozen and a half ears for the 13 of us staying at Lake George.*

That night for dinner, I cooked the ears as I most often do in the summer: steamed in a little bit of water in a covered pot for about 5 minutes. When cooking corn for a crowd, this is what I do: stuff the ears, broken in half, into a large pot, add two cups of water, cover with foil, bring to a boil, then set a timer for 5 minutes.

When the timer dings, turn off the heat, remove the pan from the burner, and let the corn sit until serving time, another 5 minutes or so. The corn will emerge firm and juicy, cooked just enough, which is all it needs.

Friends! Is there anything better than the first corn of the season?

We ate it aside chicken souvlaki, tzatziki, and warm bread. It was heaven. Here are 3 favorite corn recipes I'm so looking forward to making:

Deborah Madison's Corn Fritters

Fresh Corn Polenta: It's truly one of my all-time favorite things to eat.

Melissa Clark's Corn Pasta

*We stay at a place called Stepping Stones in Diamond Point, which my in-laws discovered 9 years ago when they first moved out here. I can't recommend it enough.


5 More Summery Recipes to Make This Week

Quick Fresh Tomato-Basil Sauce

Pan-Seared Cod with Sauce Niรงoise

Blistered green beans:

Simple White Bean Salad

Cold Peanut Noodles


PS: You Are Loving These 3 Recipes...


In Case You Missed It

Simple Roasted Yellow Tomato Sauce


Virtual Cooking Class

On Thursday, August 1st from 6-7:15 pm, I'll be teaching a virtual cooking class on Sicilian and Grandma-style pizzas. I'll be making three recipes from Pizza Night. This class is part of Milk Street's summer pizza series, which includes classes taught by Peter Reinhart and J. Kenji Lopez-Alt.

Use PIZZANIGHT15 for 15% off my class.


The Dressing I Make on Vacation + 3 Recipes from Pizza Night

In Friday's pizza newsletter, I shared the salad dressing recipe I make most often on vacation, a chat with Evan Kleiman from KCRW's Good Food, and 3 recipes from Pizza Night. Get the recipes here:


Thank You

Thank you to all who have ordered Pizza Night.


5 Free Resources Available to You

Happy Cooking,


Alexandra Stafford



Love what you're reading? Click here to receive an alert every time I post a new recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment