Saturday, March 6, 2021

🥟Kimchi Mandu and 🥩Recipes using Bulgogi

 
 

Hi there!

 

It's still cold in many parts of the country I know.. I hope you are all staying safe in this crazy weather!!

For me, cold weather reminds me of my days when I was a kid, when I tried to make Kimchi Mandu with my mom and sisters who are all 10+ years older which meant they were almost all adults at this time. 

 

I always wanted to make mine look as pretty as my mom's or my sisters' but I always fell a little short. Either I added too much filling and couldn't close it up or there wasn't enough filling and the whole mandu looked pretty saggy and sad.. 😝😂

 

But I think what I enjoyed the most is that I was still allowed to participate and even though my mandu was not very good looking. My brother of course, was always proud of what he made, coming up with crazy reasons why it looks the way it does....he did it on purpose, it's to show some odd theory he has, whatever.. haha

 

Anyway, just so you know, this family Kimchi mandu is quite different from the frozen store bought ones because we like to put a lot of kimchi in it. This is a North Korean (Yibuksik 이북식) style mandu; it's full of kimchi flavor but also bursting with meat flavors of pork and beef. 

BTW, to make it ultra unctuous, use cooked and chopped pork belly all the way!

 

I already have the full recipe post for Kimchi Mandu but I just uploaded full a Youtube Video with narration where I show you exactly how it's done. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.. hmm.. then is a video worth a million words??🤣😂

 
layout component 0
Image 1
layout component 1
layout component 2
 

layout component 3
layout component 4
Image 1

Choose your favorite rice cake soup recipe (beef broth or anchovy broth) and just add these mandu with your rice cakes. Cook the mandu fresh or frozen. I show you how to freeze them in my post and in youtube.

layout component 5

Steam frozen mandu for 10 minutes in a bamboo steamer or other steaming method. Serve with some vinegar soy sauce.

 

Want a light and healthy vegan Mandu?

layout component 6
Image 1

Here's a Vegan dumpling recipe that I developed after tasting a wonderful version at a mandu specialty restaurant in Seoul called Jaha Mandu 자하 만두. Filling is made with zucchini, shitake, chili peppers and no tofu which doesn't sound very yummy but believe me, it's so good!😋

 
layout component 7

One thing I love about Bulgogi (besides the fact that it tastes absolutely delicious) is that there are many other recipes that I can make with this marinated beef. So, I marinate a big batch, freeze them (uncooked) in portions and then use them for different dishes.

Image 1

My #1 post on my blog - if you have not made my Bulgogi, you are missing out!! 

Bulgogi Rice Bowl, Gungjung Tteokbokki, 

Bulgogi Kimchi Pasta, Bulgogi Jeongol

layout component 8

Bulgogi Rice Bowl (top left) - is the twin to Hoedeopbap (Sashimi Rice Bowl). Here, we top a bowl of rice with bulgogi, various greens, chili peppers, ssukat and perilla then top with Cho-Gochujang sauce. I love this so much!

Gungjung Tteokbokki (top right) - is the mild tteokbokki version that was served at the royal palace (gungjung 궁중). The bulgogi flavor is perfect with the chewy tteok and veggies.

Bulgogi Kimchi Pasta (bottom left) - is a simple pasta made with bulgogi and kimchi. It's the ultimate Korean fusion dish that you will love.

Bulgogi Jeongol (hot pot, bottom right) - is a stew made with bulgogi, shitake and other veggies + glass noodles in a lovely kelp broth. 

 

 
layout component 9
Image 1

Milk bread (Uyu Sikppang 우유식빵) is a recipe that took me many days to perfect but I'm so glad I did because I've been told many times by readers how they have tried several other recipes but mine is the only one that works.

In addition to enjoying them with some butter and jam, you can also make egg salad sandwich and it will be extra yummy.

layout component 10
layout component 11
layout component 12
 

 
f-facebook
f-instagram
f-pinterest
f-twitter
f-youtube
 

No comments:

Post a Comment