Thursday, July 4, 2024

๐Ÿฅถ My Two Favorite Foods to Freeze!

Hey there reader!

One of my favorite ways to prepare meals ahead of time is by using the freezer. I like to cook a bunch of healthy meals when I have some free time, so that they're ready to eat when I'm a busy hot mess.

⭐️ I pretty much freeze any recipe that I can, but I have to say that my favorites are soups and chilis.

You might be wondering why I love to freeze these kinds of recipes so much.

✅ Well, the thing is, they freeze, thaw, and reheat really well - so they taste just as fresh as when you first made them!

✅ Plus, soups and chilis are a great way to pack in a lot of nutrition with all those veggies, beans, and lean proteins.

✅ Another reason I love soups and chilis is that they're easy to make in large batches using just one pot.

✅ Then, once they're cooked, you can portion them out into small individual servings for lunches and dinners throughout the week. It's so convenient!

When it comes to freezing soups and chilis, there are a few different methods I like to use. Let me break them down for you:

๐Ÿ‘‰ First up, freezer bags. I usually put 1-2 cups of soup or chili into a quart-sized freezer bag, flatten it out, and then place it on a plate or small tray to freeze. Once it's frozen, I pop it into the freezer. When I'm ready to reheat, I take the bag out of the freezer ahead of time to thaw on the counter, or run it under warm water to slip it out of the bag. Then I place the soup or chili in a small pot and heat it up over low heat until it's warm and ready to eat.

๐Ÿ‘‰ Another option is to use individual containers that hold 2-3 cups (either plastic or glass). This is a great way to grab lunch on the go. If you're using glass containers, just make sure to leave about an inch of space at the top to allow for expansion. Keep in mind that this option takes up more freezer space than the freezer bag method. To reheat, you can either remove the soup or chili from the container and heat it up in a small pot on the stove, or if the container is microwave-safe, you can heat it up in the microwave using the container.

๐Ÿ‘‰ My absolute favorite way to freeze soups and chilis is using Souper Cubes. These are portioned-out silicone trays that work really well. Once the soup or chili is frozen in the trays, I place the "bricks" into a labeled freezer bag and then freeze them.

When it's time to reheat, I simply place the brick into a small pot and heat it up slowly on the stove. If I'm taking it to work, I'll place the brick into a microwave-safe container and heat it up in the microwave when I'm ready to eat.

If you're planning on freezing a lot of soups and chilis, I highly recommend grabbing a couple of 1-cup Souper cube trays. They're not only handy for freezer prep, but they're also environmentally-friendly.

Check this tutorial I put together that has more tips and trick for freezing soup and chili.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Tammy Overhoff

No comments:

Post a Comment