Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Grrr..Why Are Habits So Hard to Break?

Hey there reader,

Today I want to chat about habits - specifically, the reasons they're so hard to break.

Do you ever wonder why you can't stick with good eating habits? Or the reasons you continue to sleep instead of getting up to exercise? Or why are you are constantly in the "hot zone" when you want to feel in control? Or why do you keep going back to a bad habit that you want to change?

We all know we "should," so why do we struggle to change habits?

If there's one thing I've learned about changing habits since starting my weight loss journey is this ๐Ÿ‘‰ it's ALL MENTAL.

What does this mean exactly? If you can't wrap your brain around the habit you're looking to change; it'll never happen.

It doesn't matter how bad the habit is; if it's a part of us, and we get some comfort from it, then it can feel like an act of God to do something different.

Now, I don't want you to feel discouraged. I'm not looking to be doom and gloom when it comes to changing habits - because even though it's hard, it's certainly not impossible.

The best way to change habits is to figure out why you're holding onto them.

In my experience, and from talking to others, there are three reasons we go back to old habits.

#1. Old habits are comfortable.

Think about it. Most habits are decades in the making - it's all we know. Good or bad, it's who we are. Whenever we are stressed, happy, sad, or bored, we are programmed to respond to those emotions.

For example, if every time you're stressed, you reach for carbs, then that's what makes you feel comfortable and safe.

To break comfortable habits, you must be willing to step outside your comfort zone and stay there.

You have to want change MORE than you want to stay comfortable ๐Ÿ‘ˆ read that again!

That starts with recognizing the habit(s) you want to change. But not just the habit; you need to understand the event and emotion surrounding that habit.

For example, you order a pizza on the way home from work because there's nothing ready for dinner. The habit you want to change isn't necessarily about ordering the pizza, it's about changing the habits that lead up to ordering the pizza.

Instead, you can:

  • Create a meal plan, so you know what you're going to eat.
  • Meal prep, so the food is ready.
  • And many other habits that will keep you organized and out of the hot zones that send you back into old habits.

This brings me back to the next point.

#2. There's no system in place.

My weight loss plan used to look like this:

  • Wake up and decide to lose weight.
  • Go throughout my day doing the same thing I did the day before.
  • Maybe buy a bunch of lean cuisines and walk on the treadmill for 1/2 hour.
  • Go to bed feeling disappointed because I wanted to change my lifestyle but, once again, didn't.
  • Repeat.

Here's the problem, I was trying to change my habits without putting any systems in place.

๐Ÿ˜ฉ I had no clue what to eat.

๐Ÿ˜ฉ Food wasn't ready when I needed it to be.

๐Ÿ˜ฉ I didn't know when to exercise.

๐Ÿ˜ฉ And the most significant issue, my life was still highly chaotic. I attempted to change my habits and lose weight while still living in the hot zone every day. All this did was send me right back to my old comfortable habits <-- see #1.

๐Ÿ˜ Once I started to meal plan, meal prep, and develop other organizing habits and routines, I was able to create healthier eating habits and prioritize exercise finally.

Of course, it didn't happen overnight but eventually, putting those systems in place reduced or eliminated the hot zones that prevented me from making healthier choices.

#3. Lack of self-discipline.

Okay, let's say you put systems in place, and you still struggle with some old bad habits.

I get it. Just because I write teach about healthy routines and habits doesn't mean I don't have any bad habit demons.

As I said, some of our bad habits are decades in the making. Even with systems, it can be challenging to turn off the part of our brain that "needs" that habit. This is where self-discipline comes in.

Self-discipline means doing something you don't want to do because it's the right thing to do.

For example, not eating past 7:00 pm. You might want that bowl of ice cream BAD, but you choose not to eat it because it will ruin all your weight loss efforts for the day. You want to sleep in, but you get up and exercise instead.

When systems are in place, it's much easier to stay self-disciplined. This is because, most likely, your need is more about a craving or just being lazy and not about surviving a hot zone.

The excellent news about self-discipline is I've never regretted sticking to my guns about a decision that would help me achieve my goals. There's not one workout I regretted or an extra piece of pizza I missed.

So at the moment, you might feel like you'll die if you don't have that piece of chocolate, Starbucks, or whatever, but I guarantee if you can stay disciplined and push through, you'll feel happy and proud.

So, yes, old habits die hard, and there will be times they creep back in, but it's entirely possible to change your life to a healthier one.

✅ Start with recognizing and accepting your hot zones that make it impossible to break bad habits.

✅ Slowly put systems in place to control the hot zones and create new healthier habits.

✅ Stay disciplined.

If I can do this, you can too!

Have a great week!

Tammy

Organize Yourself Skinny

Ps. Hey, have you checked out my shop, Reset & Flourish? If not, let me tell you all about it!

At Reset & Flourish, you can find many helpful resources to help you fit a healthier lifestyle into your busy schedule. From freezer prep guides to 10-day challenges and eBooks, there's something for everyone. And that's not all! I'm also creating workshops and courses that will make healthy living more manageable. I'm constantly adding new resources to my shop, so check back often. Check out the Reset & Flourish Shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment