Monday, February 14, 2022

Director's Blog: Thinking Differently About Perpetuating Excellence

It's been a busy few weeks since my swearing-in as the director of the U.S. Census Bureau.
Registered United States Census Bureau Logo

Thinking Differently About Perpetuating Excellence

Director Robert L. Santos

Written by: Director Robert L. Santos

February 14, 2022

It's been a busy few weeks since my swearing-in as the 26th director of the U.S. Census Bureau! I've enjoyed a four-week tenure and continue to be in "learning mode." There is so much to know about the Census Bureau, our work with a multitude of stakeholders and clients, and, ultimately, how we achieve a laudable level of excellence in pursuing our mission. I can't help but smile as I meet employees and hear their stories, experience firsthand the depth and breadth of their expertise, and reflect on how fortunate we are in maintaining and growing a deep bench of professional expertise and leadership. 

It would be easy to see what I have seen and simply say, "Let's carry on." But that's not me. We should never be complacent about our achievements. Over my professional career, I have learned that innovation, creativity and critical thinking are central to maintaining excellence in any field of work. Like many of you, I've also learned that diversity and inclusion are often unrecognized, potent catalysts for achieving excellence -- and advancing equity. As a scientist and a person of color, the value of including marginalized voices has always been clear to me. From the earliest days of my career, I came to cherish the moments when I saw how my presence and others highlighted the value of diversity and inclusion for my more privileged colleagues.

Read More

Help us spread the word about Census Bureau data!

Share this on social media or forward it to a friend.

Share This

About the Census Bureau

We serve as the nation's leading provider of quality data about its people and economy. The Census Bureau is the federal government's largest statistical agency. As the world's premier statistical agency, we are dedicated to making our nation a better place. Policy-makers, businesses, and the public use our data to make informed decisions.

Resources for Media

For media interviews, please contact the Public Information Office Toll Free at 877-861-2010, 301-763-3030, or pio@census.gov


This is an official email from the U.S. Census Bureau. If you have any questions or comments, please contact us (http://www.census.gov/about/contact-us.html).  

No comments:

Post a Comment