Hello friends, and welcome to my "What I've been loving" series! The truth is, I started The Almond Eater over 10 years ago, and since then, blogging has changed a lot. I miss writing, and I miss sharing my life with you all. If you don't care about my life (no offense taken), just don't open the email. You'll still get plenty of tasty food recipes sent to you! I didn't send a "life lately" email all summer -- it wasn't totally intentional, but I knew I wanted to do a big "end of summer" email , so here it is! LIFE: SUMMER '26 EDITION
- Me, Miguel and Emmy took a little trip to Kennywood (Pittsburgh's local amusement park) back in early June. We went last fall and Emmy loved it, but as she's getting older she can be a little more hesitant about things so I wasn't sure how it was going to go. Well, she loved it! LOVED the merry-go-round and the kiddie coaster -- talked about the kiddie coaster for weeks after and how it went fast and how it was a little scary but how "daddy's got you" -- MY HEART.
- By no choice of my own, this summer largely revolved around the World Cup. Anyone else's husband soccer obsessed? Truthfully, I realize his obsession could be much worse, but many games were watched. At least it was a good excuse to get together with friends!
- Over the summer, Miguel and I celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary! We took a solo trip to Chicago, which is one of our favorite cities. On the water, very walkable, plenty to do, good food, and our hotel had a pool (thank goodness, because it was during the heat wave!).
- We took a trip to the DC area to be with Miguel's family, not only to see them, but because his parent's renewed their wedding vows. 40 years! Pretty impressive. It was a very large party they had at their house with hose huge outdoor tents and plenty of food. A good time was had! We also look Emmy into downtown DC and she got to see the Lincoln Memorial, mostly because she likes going up and down steps so I knew she'd be a fan.
- Last summer, we decided to host a little summer cookout. Well, we did it again this year and I think it's going to be an annual tradition. Hosting our friends and neighbors is so much fun, and I make sure to cook all the things for it. The menu this year included burgers and hot dogs, asparagus pasta salad, cherry crumb bars, and a chocolate chip cookie recipe that isn't on on the site yet but is similar to my vegan chocolate chip cookies). Along with potato chips and watermelon OF COURSE.
- When I was pregnant with Emmy, I told myself I'd do a lot of baking when my future baby got older. Well, I've officially baked with Emmy twice and both times afterward she told me she didn't like the thing we baked (in this case, it was muffins). Go figure! This is what I call classic toddler behavior.
- It may come as no surprise that we did a lot of "kid" things this summer, including going to the Children's Museum, Heinz History Center, the Family Festival event downtown, and we even visited a farm where we got to see cows, horses, pigs, goats, chickens -- literally every animal you could want to see on a farm.
- Ok the last, this isn't something we "did" as much as something we're currently doing, but we're currently working on a kitchen remodel! We've been working with an interior designer to help us figure out the layout and it's been really helpful so far. The actual project hasn't started yet -- we're still in the design phase -- but things are happening!
THINGS I BOUGHT & LOVED THIS SUMMER
- Mickey bubble wand: Possibly our most-used item this summer?? Emmy is OBSESSED because not only does it blow bubbles, but it plays music as well.
- Toddler 3-in-1 tower: Ok this is a cheat because I bought this last year, but this is where Emmy "sits" to eat every single day. She's too big for her high chair and refuses to sit in a regular chair, so this tower is a perfect middle ground. Plus, it converts into a table (which she uses when she wants to color) and it has a chalkboard on one side which is fun.
- Migraine stick: I LOVE this stuff. If I ever feel a headache coming on, I just rub a little bit on my forehead or temples and it either makes it go away or minimally reduces the pain. I swear by it!
- Peptide serum: Been using this for the past few months and I love it. I have sensitive skin, so not all products work, but this leaves my skin feeling smooth and glowy.
- Vitamin C supplement: Unfortunately, not all Vitamin C supplements are created equal. This one is made with whole food vitamin C rather than vitamin c with ascorbic acid. Whatever I can do to help my immune system, and I feel like this is pretty easy to add to my morning routine.
- Clearstem face spray: New favorite skincare item! It can be sprayed under your make up to make it set better OR over your make up to give you a glowy finish.
- Cozy matching set shorts and top: What can I say? I love a matching set. This one is so cozy but also looks nicer than regular workout clothing.
- New favorite fall sweater: I just bought this sweater and I'm excited to wear it this fall! It's thicker than it looks, so I feel like it's perfect for late summer into fall when the weather gets chilly.
- Cozy fall blanket: I told myself I wanted to get a fuzzy brown throw blanket as part of our fall home decor. Look no further because THIS IS THE ONE!
That's it! Thanks for the support and happy (almost) fall! -Erin
|
No comments:
Post a Comment