Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Fresh herbs that you can't use? Preserve them with this method

Hey reader reader,

I'm Richa, the face behind My Food Story. Welcome to this series where I'll be sending you an email exclusive tip/recipe every Wednesday!

Here's today's Tip/Kitchen Hack:

I am a huge fan of using fresh produce when I cook. I think something even as simple as using fresh basil vs. packaged dry basil can change a whole dish. But the only problem is that I am almost always left with a small bunch that I forget about, leaving it to rot or dry up :/

So of course I was feeling pretty determined to fix this. I looked up a few websites and found a few tips that were super helpful. Here's what worked for me:

  • Freeze fresh herbs - Place chopped herbs into an ice cube tray and cover with olive oil or even broth. Place in the freezer, once frozen, transfer to a container or sealable bags. Use as required by adding a cube or two directly into the pan.
  • Dry fresh herbs - This can be done either by sun-drying the herbs or using an oven or dehydrator. Allow the herbs to dry in open air or sunlight by tying the stems with twine and leaving it hanging upside down. The leaves will crumble easily once fully dried. Alternatively, you can use an oven or a dehydrator to do the same thing. Spread the herbs out on a tray and place them inside an oven or dehydrator at a low temperature (80-90F) for 2-3 hours or until fully dried. Once done, transfer the dried herbs into an airtight container and store them in a cool and dry place.

Here are some recipes I often use fresh herbs for - Herb Garlic Roast Chicken, Bacon and Mushroom Stuffed Chicken Roulade and Tomato Basil Pasta.

Hope this helps!! Is there anything else you need help with? Reply and tell me and I'll make sure to include it in my next few emails.

Happy Cooking,

Richa Gupta


Unsubscribe

No comments:

Post a Comment