Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Vineyard Kitchen Takeover & Summer Corn Soup!


To everyone in the northern hemisphere who has been asking for hot weather recipes, this soup is for you - it's a COLD soup! Ever tried a chilled soup before?? It's magnificent! Though actually, this is one is excellent served warm too. It's a soup for all seasons!

And - rounding off my trip to Tasmania with one last postcard, something a little different. See below! - Nagi xx (& Dozer in spirit from his own holiday at the Golden Retriever Boarder's place)


Chilled Corn Soup

Get the recipe


Final Postcard from Tasmania!

{In case you missed them, click here for Postcard #1, Postcard #2, Postcard #3 and Postcard #4!}

After all that driving and eating and wine tasting in Tasmania, we finished the trip up with something a little different….

RecipeTin Eats Long Lunch @ Meadowbank Vineyard!

Because doesn't everybody takeover the kitchen of a vineyard to put on a big lunch for their friends when they travel??๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚




The magnificent Meadowbank vineyard is an hour out of Hobart city in the beautiful Derwent Valley. Owned and run by the Ellis family, the property oozes charm with the historic homestead surrounded by their award winning vineyard. The family are such gracious, humble people, you'd never guess they are one of the most respected private wine growers in the whole of Tasmania!



In case you are wondering are you MAD?! Why would you do this??! Firstly, well, everybody knows I'm a bit mad. ๐Ÿ˜‚

But secondly, the reason is simply this: The whole purpose of this trip - and this was a work trip (with a sprinkle of fun!) - was to visit and learn from farm gates and local producers. And try as I might to eat my weight in cheese (and I really did try!), there was no way I would be able to make my way through all the produce that I came across.

So what I decided to do was the put on a lunch for friends featuring produce we'd picked up during the trip, as well as giving me an excuse to round up the herd into one place!!

All those places I spoke about in previous postcards, from fresh-out-of-the-dirt vegetables to handmade boutique cheeses, locally raised lamb to oysters from the waters of Hobart, they featured in our lunch. If we loved it, we used it!

The menu was simple, intended to be such that we did very little to the produce. Plus, the less we did, the more we could make!!




Mmm… Tasmanian Scallops with a secret-ingredient-dukkah…. I have a little surprise about this Dukkah that I'll be announcing on Friday!! (PS And those pretty flowers are from the herb garden of Tongola Cheese goat farm, one of the places I spoke about in a previous postcard)


Here's what the dining room looked like before the lunch. This is in the historic homestead:


And during (yes, out of respect, I blurred some faces):


And after…just a bit of cheese to wrap up the meal!!


And just to confirm - yes, Meadowbank Wines are fabulous. They're award winning! My pick - the 2017 Pinot Noir!

Tasmania, what a state. What a trip! I can't believe I got this far through life before doing a foodie trip of Tasmania. And I'm only at the tip of the iceberg!

I kid you not when I tell you my friends are very worried I'm going to have another* midlife crisis and move down to Tasmania! In fact, having to return into a locked down Sydney, I would have stayed down there if I had been able to figure out a way to get Dozer shipped down to join me.

Tasmania - I will be back. Sooner than you think…. ❤️ - Nagi x

* My first was an early midlife crisis when I ditched my finance career to take a chance at becoming a food blogger (as a full time job). Who does that?? ๐Ÿ˜‚


Life of Dozer

The last update from the Golden Retriever Boarder while in Tassie!


- Nagi x



No comments:

Post a Comment