Tuesday, June 14, 2022

15+ quick, easy cheap & healthy summer snack ideas for kids


Hi reader,

I don't know about you, but my kids are eating machines in the summer. It doesn't matter how big or filling of a breakfast I make, they're back MINUTES later asking for a snack.

Fresh fruits and vegetables are our go-to snacks. 

We cut out store-bought bars and chips and crackers LOOOOONG ago because they were too expensive. And they're not that healthy either.

(Confession: I used to have some serious mom guilt going on. I said I wanted my kids to eat more fruits and vegetables in one breath, and then hand them pretzels. One day though it clicked… if I gave them fruit for snack, I'd cut out the snacks, save money AND they'd eat more produce. That was really a light bulb moment for me!)


I like to make things a bit more fun in the summer, so in addition to apple and almond butter, or carrots with homemade ranch dressing, I ask the kids what they'd like to have and make just one batch each week.

Last week they chose homemade ice pops. I use silicone molds, since the clear Zipsicle pouches started to lose their rigidity after 2-3 rounds of ice pops. I used coconut water (which I already had), strawberries from ALDI ($1.19 per pound!) and peaches (99¢ per pound).

I don't know what they'll pick next week, but I do have avocados for avocado chocolate pudding - YUM!!

Since they tend to choose the same 2-3 things over and over again, I created a running list of ideas to choose from (crossing my fingers that they choose something different, LOL!!):

(Plus, you can see all my snack recipes on this page on the blog.)

What kind of cheap and healthy summer snacks do you have in your house? I'd love to hear your ideas!! Hit "reply" and share them with me!

Blessings,
Tiffany

PS – I must confess that as my kids have gotten older, snack time is SO MUCH EASIER! One reason is that I've taught them how to make many of their favorite snacks, including baked goods!


Teaching kids life skills like how to make a healthy snack (or meal!) is so important. That's why I've been excited all week for the Life Skills Summer Camp. My kids and I have watched the sessions we found most interesting and we've learned a lot!

Camp has already started but there's still time to join. FREE access to the classes lasts until June 18th. Click Here to register!

Popular on the Blog this Week

5 Practical Ways to Save Money on Groceries. Simple tips that work for any family, any budget. Use every week to trim food costs and stick to your budget. Also, learn how to make a meal plan.

  Read More Here  
On a budget? Learn how to grocery shop once a month with this helpful guide! I share tips and tricks that will save you money while shopping and meal planning.

Read More Here  
Learn the simple trick to remove labels from jars using a common ingredient you already have on hand! Ready in minutes, cheaper than buying new jars! Consider reusing your jars to stock your real food pantry!

Read More Here  

Freshly Updated

How to build a raised garden bed to grow your own food this summer! Check out my step-by-step tutorial showing you how to build a frugal raised garden bed to save money on food + eat healthier! It's super easy to build, and simple enough for any living situation – whether you rent or own your home!

 Read More Here 
These 11 tips help us afford to buy essential oils, and we're not buying the cheap kind. The best essential oils can't be found in a local store! Get wholesale pricing online and be able to afford essential oils on a budget! Learn how to get rid of mold and mildew using essential oils and how to make bug repellent with essential oils.

Read More Here 

New Posts on the Blog This Week

My Zesty Italian Dressing recipe is fresh, herby, spicy and full of zing! It's super budget-friendly, easy to make, and so much healthier than Kraft Italian dressing! Enjoy on salads – or as a marinade to add kick to your favorite chicken dishes!

 Read More Here 


No comments:

Post a Comment