Thursday, June 30, 2022

How to make a giant gallon of sour pickles quickly disappear

Hi reader,

I started brewing kombucha a few years ago, but after taking a break, I'm back at it. (Buying kombucha is just SO EXPENSIVE!!)

I mentioned earlier this week that I got my grandma hooked on it, but my sister-in-law is the one who first got ME hooked. She gave me a SCOBY to get started and handed over a super simple tutorial.

I needed a big glass jar to get started, but got stuck on finding a gallon-sized jar locally. I asked her for some ideas and she says, "Silly – just buy a gallon of pickles!"

Pure genius! 

I usually keep the glass jars that food comes in, but didn't think of this for the larger sized jars too. Sure enough, I found a gallon of pickles at my local Walmart for less than $6. (They had half-gallon pickle jars too!)

Fast forward several years and I'm very comfortable brewing plain Kombucha. (Here's my method.)

To do the second ferment for strawberry lemonade or rose hip hibiscus, you need a special jar for those too.

Specifically, you need a quart-size swing-top jar to ensure it is sealed 100%... otherwise the ferment wouldn't work.

Taking a cue from my sister-in-law, I kept my eyes open for sodas and drinks that would be in this type of jar. Sure enough, I found a bottle filled with lemonade at ALDI last week for just $2.50!

Lesson learned?

The next time you're needing a specific sized glass jar for something, be sure to think outside the box and consider what foods might come in that particular jar. You'll save money, get food AND get the glass jar to boot!

Blessings!
♥ Tiffany

PS - Ok, I know I just said to think outside the box for sourcing jars, but have you considered thinking INSIDE the box for sourcing meat? Think Butcher Box!

TODAY you can get FREE BACON for life with your order. This is one of their most popular offers and will be around until supplies run out. If you're curious why I would choose Butcher Box for my meat, read this review! And my follow up review, and our strategy to afford it!


No comments:

Post a Comment