Friday, September 10, 2021

Is it fall yet?

Logo

Cozy season on deck

Hello, fall!

Helllllooooo bread season! Yes, that is my delicious pear bread stacked with fall flavor. I know realistically I bake all year long and my oven is never off for long, but in summer there are so many days when it just seems way too impossibly hot to do more than a big salad for dinner and ice cream sundaes for dessert. But we're past Labor Day so even if the temperatures aren't quite cooperating, I am already dreaming of this Easy Pear Bread and Cheesy Philly Cheesesteak Soup. Meals curled up in front of the fire! Candles and hay rides (um, not together obviously, but you know what I mean!) I will admit that I am not a huge fan of seeing pumpkin pie already out for sale at the grocery store, I will admit, but also am kind of into the new fall drinks from Starbucks (I am not a PSL diehard, but Apple Crisp I can get behind.)

Along the same lines, do you rotate out recipes seasonally? I've done a lot of different meal planning over the years, but have found with kids that we have a lot of greatest hits on our repeat rotation, regardless of season. We try to add in seasonal vegetables and fruits where appropriate, so soon I'll be roasting more squash and take the kids apple-picking. The kids always love helping to cook with something they picked themselves, too, so I know these will be made on repeat. I know someday we'll be empty-nesters and I can actually spend a leisurely hour perfecting getting my onions just right on my French Onion Soup, but we're not quite there yet. Maybe you are, though, in which case please spend some time for me on getting really caramelized onions!

I think being in the kitchen cooking fall foods also means so much to those of us without those New England trees changing color. I'm pretty sure my idea of fall was developed around some childhood image of Charlie Brown and Snoopy, jumping into piles of leaves. Growing up in southern California you knew it was fall because the decorations at Knott's Berry Farm and Disneyland changed, ha!

Okay, the temperature is actually not any cooler than it was before September but just let me live my fantasy! Here are some other things I found inspiring this week:

  • Peak coziness: doing a donuts puzzle while in your pajamas. Just try and resist going to get Krispy Kreme after that!

  • Might as well light up one of these candles if you're like me and wish you could have a fire but it's not below 70 yet ;)

  • I read this article about a Netflix show I never would have discovered on my own and am so intrigued. Added to my watchlist!

  • Recently read this book and couldn't put it down and also cannot stop thinking about these characters! Has some steamy scenes (fans self) but also a lot of heart and humor — highly recommend.

  • Can a kitchen have too many dish towels? (Hint: this is a rhetorical question)

  • Not gonna lie, corn mazes kind of terrify me because my sense of direction is not great, but this list makes me think I'll have to take the kids to one someday!

  • I cannot believe I missed the 50th anniversary of Frog and Toad last year! These stories make me and my kids laugh over and over again; I always buy these books for developing readers.

  • I watched Knives Out again recently and now feel as though I need to find the perfect cable knit sweater for fall. Considering this one

Team Apple Crisp Macchiato, over and out!

Facebook iconInstagram iconTwitter icon
Logo

Copyright (C) 2021 Dinner, then Dessert. All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you signed up to follow all the deliciousness happening over at Dinner, then Dessert. Thanks for that, by the way!

Our mailing address is:

Dinner, then Dessert
2351 Sunset Blvd Ste 170-950
Rocklin, CA 95675

Add us to your address book


Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

No comments:

Post a Comment