Thursday, August 12, 2021

Shirred Eggs... and the launch of RecipeTin MEALS!!!


It's been a big week here at RTE... RecipeTin Meals officially started! This is the new not-for-profit arm of RTE where we will be cooking hot meals every day for vulnerable people in Sydney. I hired a full time Chef and Kitchenhand to work in the RecipeTin Meals kitchen located in Kings Cross in Sydney City and they started on Wednesday.

The first meal run starts tomorrow.... see the Lockdown Life section below for Behind-The-Scenes action!

As for today's Shirred Eggs - this is baked eggs, made fabulous. Sure, it's great for breakfast or brunch. But I've had this more often for lunch and dinner! - Nagi & Dozer 🐶 xx


Shirred Eggs (better baked eggs!)

Get the recipe



🇦🇺 It's an Aussie Lockdown Life.... 🇦🇺

We might be in Lockdown with no definitive end in sight, but that wasn't going to stop me from launching RecipeTin Meals!! This is the new not-for-profit arm of RecipeTin where I have two team members dedicated to making hot meals every day for vulnerable people in Sydney.

It has always been my goal since I started RecipeTin to one day have such a not-for-profit arm. I wasn't quite ready to start it yet, but this latest COVID outbreak and Sydney lockdown brought my plans forward. As you can imagine, many food charities in Sydney have understandably had restaurants pull out, so there's a greater need than ever for support in this area.

Here's a little introduction video I shared on Instagram a few weeks ago when I first announced what I was doing and put the Job Vacancies ad out - click the image below to watch it on Instagram, or click here:


The cooks you see in the kitchen in the above video are existing RTE team members who have other responsibilities.

I've now hired a full time Chef and Kitchenhand who both work full time in the RTM kitchen, cooking meals! They both started this week. Here's a little behind the scenes video of their first day in the "office":


It feels so strange that I haven't even been into the kitchen yet! I sub-let the kitchen just a few weeks ago, after lockdown started (it's now week 7). But the thing is, I just about manage everything I need to do via Zoom. I'm not actually needed in the kitchen (the Chef's chopping skills put mine to shame!), so according to the Lockdown rules, I need to stay at home.

Kitchen aside, there's been lots of work on the corporate set up aspects as well. Figuring out the best / right legal structure for a not-for-profit, drafting constitutions, ensuring we have the right insurance in place.

I even had to appoint independent directors for the new not-for-profit entity, to do things by the book! We had our first board meeting the other day. Preparing and circulating board papers, writing board meeting agendas, doing risk analysis.... threw me right back to my corporate days! 😂

So, it's been a big week here at RecipeTin. Hive of activity on the RTM front, some big recipe development projects in the works. Missing my team.

But I'm very lucky that my business is set up to work remotely. Though, I have to say, doing recipe development and testing remotely has been somewhat of a challenge! Let's just say some Uber drivers have had some vereeee interesting deliveries back and forth between me and my team! Here's one thing that was sent out in an Uber....

Who knows what this is?? 😇


Sending you all hugs from Down Under. - Nagi & Dozer x


LOCKDOWN - What to cook this weekend!

Some ISOCooking suggestions for this weekend!

Focaccia

Mashed potato is the secret ingredient that makes this truly Italian! (PS It takes time for the rising steps, but it's low effort NO KNEAD)

Get the recipe


Jambalaya

Get the recipe


Falafel

You never knew falafels were this easy! (And completely different from the sad dried out versions sold at most take out places...)

Get the recipe


Life of Dozer

Note his tail hanging off the scales when I was checking his weight at the pet shop. #Cheat. Hmm. I wonder who he learnt that from....? 🤔🤔🤔


- Nagi x



No comments:

Post a Comment