Tuesday, May 30, 2023

How to Make High-Protein Bread

Hi reader,

I've written about adding extra protein to smoothies. I've written about high-protein snacks like energy bites, chocolate hummus, and trail mix. I even have a high protein pancake recipe and oatmeal recipe!!

Obviously, I'm kinda into adding protein into places you might not expect it... ;)

Yet, when I was asked the question recently about how to add extra protein to bread, I was stumped!

However, when thinking about all these cheap and frugal ways to boost protein, it didn't take long for me figure out how to add extra protein to homemade bread.

Here's what I would do to add protein to bread:

 

  • Add vital wheat gluten. You can add up to 2 Tbsp of vital wheat gluten to a recipe without it being affected. If you add more, it may have a greater rise, although I have not tried that myself. Vital wheat gluten has 28g of protein per ¼ cup. 
  • Use whole wheat flour.  Whole wheat flour naturally has more protein than white flour. You can do half and half in most recipes if your family isn't quite used to the flavor of whole wheat.
  • Incorporate oat flour. Oatmeal has more protein than wheat. You can easily substitute up to ½ cup of oat flour for wheat flour in any bread recipe without affecting the end result. This maple oatmeal bread is a good one if you like exact measurements!
  • Add egg whites. An egg white has 5g of protein. You can add up to two egg whites per loaf of bread. 
  • Add cottage cheese. My homemade Hawaiian Roll recipe uses cottage cheese to help make the rolls extra fluffy. A ¼ cup of cottage cheese to a bread recipe will help increase the protein. 
  • Add a scoop of protein powder or collagen. I have not tried this myself since I prefer to drink my collagen in a smoothie, but considering protein powder is a dry ingredient, it should blend in super well with a bread recipe. (This is my favorite collagen.) 
  • Make 2-ingredient Bagels. This simple recipe uses Greek yogurt and flour. It can be adapted into buns, single-serve pizza, or sandwich flats!


That's it! Adding extra protein to bread is not as hard as it may seem. I'm going to keep these tips in mind next time I make my next batch of einkorn sandwich bread!

Do you have a favorite way to add protein to foods? I'd love to hear about it!!


ALL my best ♥,


PS: 
You can read about my favorite protein booster here! I got hooked on collagen after wanting to add more protein to my smoothies. After testing a few brands, this one came on top. I haven't looked back since!!

Popular on the Blog this Week

Grilling ideas and tips from the husband who runs the grill. Tender meat, hot coals, and more, you can cook a whole meal outside this summer with these grilling tips! You can even make homemade pizza on the grill.

  Read More Here  
Strawberry Lemonade Kombucha is a super fun way to mix up the flavors of traditional kombucha! Use any type of seasonal fruit using this tutorial to make delicious summer drinks!

Read More Here  
Here is your produce guide for June Seasonal Vegetables. Use this list to help you plan out your summer meals for the next month! Southwestern Corn and Best Kale Salad are on the top of my list!

Read More Here  

Freshly Updated

Home bakers, I have three methods for how to make flour without a grain mill! Packed with more nutrition and flavorful than store-bought flour, you'll also save money! Using freshly milled flour is perfect for homemade bread.

 Read More Here 
This simple spaghetti sauce recipe was created while on vacation in Costa Rica. All you need is four fresh ingredients and the time it takes to boil pasta. Such an easy recipe and a great way to save money! Pairs wonderfully with 15-minute Italian meatballs and garlic cheese bread.

Read More Here 
Do you struggle with not having enough time? These tried and true time-saving kitchen hacks from a real mom will help to make your day run smoother and save you precious minutes off each hour and make things easier on the kitchen as a whole! Also, see my 14 Easy Baking Hacks for Home Bakers.

Read More Here 

No comments:

Post a Comment