Saturday, January 21, 2023

Vermont Cheddar Cheese Soup, Revisited + 8 More Favorites + Pizza Book Progress

Whenever I return home for the holidays, I can expect to find two things in my mother's fridge: an enormous pan of spanakopita and a vat of Vermont cheddar cheese soup. These two easily reheatable items become lunch for everyone in attendance, often around 16 adults and children total, for the duration of the visit.

For the past two years, my children have gobbled up the soup as enthusiastically as the adults, and upon returning home, they always ask: Can you make Yiayia's Vermont cheddar cheese soup?

This request, of course, always makes my heart swell — finding something all of the children love is not easy — but I would be lying if I said I jumped to the task. This is not a fast soup: there are lots of vegetables to chop, cheese to grate, and it's critically a two-pot process.

But! It yields a ton (about 6 quarts), and it freezes beautifully. Last weekend I finally got to it, making the updated version, which replaces the pancetta with olive oil and chicken broth with vegetable stock. Friendly reminder: vegetable stock takes 30 minutes to make. (I make mine while I'm chopping all of the soup vegetables.)

As with most soups, this one gets better by the day. And if you're looking for a weekend project, I don't think you'll be disappointed tackling this one.


8 More Favorite Soups

One-Pot Lentil Soup

Curried Carrot-Ginger Soup

Simple Potato-Leek Soup

Lighter, Better Broccoli-Cheddar Soup

Favorite Cabbage Soup, Updated

No Stock French Onion Soup

Simple Chicken Noodle Soup

Pantry Tomato Soup

PS: Don't forget to make some bread for your soups 🍞🍞


Pizza Book Progress

Here are some recent snaps of pizzas and salads I've been working on for the pizza book.

Roasted mushrooms, thyme, fontina:

Kale, sun-dried tomato, mozzarella:

Snap pea, radishes, mint:

Classic Caesar salad:


In Case You Missed It...


4 Resources Always Available to You

Happy Cooking,


Alexandra Stafford



Love what you're reading? Click here to receive an alert every time I post a new recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment