Tuesday, January 31, 2023

don’t believe the lie that healthy food is expensive

Hi reader,

One of the most common misconceptions I hear often is that healthy eating is expensive.

The truth is, we often make it expensive by purchasing foods made for convenience. It's so easy to toss in a jar of salsa or pick up a bag of coleslaw mix without even considering that it can easily be made at home.

Let me give you an example.

Say I'm making tacos and we need shredded lettuce. I could either buy a package of pre-washed shredded lettuce or I can buy a head of lettuce and shred it up at home.

The shredded lettuce from the store is typically about 22.9¢ per ounce. A head of iceberg lettuce is 8¢ per ounce.

Now a 15¢ difference doesn't seem like all that much. But if you're anything like my family, we can easily go through two heads of lettuce a week. This means, if I take the time to shred up the lettuce myself, I can save $10 a month!

With food prices on the rise, an extra $10 to go towards something else we need is pretty significant.

I do take into consideration how much time it takes to prep foods at home. In this case, it only takes about 3 minutes to chop up some lettuce, so really I'm not saving that much time by buying a convenient bag of lettuce.

You may have noticed this with prepped produce before, but think about other items you can make at home and how much savings you can make. Bread is about $4 a loaf lately and you can easily make it at home for 25¢!

Here are some other items people often buy out of convenience: 


The last few items on that list honestly don't take much time at all. They are a good place to start if you're looking to save money on convenience foods! (Just click on the links above for a good recipe!)

What is one food you recently bought out of convenience that you could have made or prepped at home?

ALL my best ♥,


PS: I will add that I do scan the pre-chopped bagged produce because sometimes there are deals! I recently found shredded lettuce on clearance for 7¢ an ounce which comes out better than a whole head. I didn't need a whole lot of lettuce that week so it worked out just perfectly.

Paying attention to the small savings is one of the ways I've been able to stick to our grocery budget consistently over the years. A price book (like this) is helpful, but when you add that to my whole grocery budget system, the savings REALLY roll in!

I teach my entire grocery system in Grocery Budget Bootcamp. This is an 8-week online course that takes you deep into the ins-and-outs of real food eating on a real life budget. The skills and principles I teach in this course are still holding up even with inflation!

In fact, before I open enrollment for the Spring class, I'll be hosting a super awesome "Fight Inflation Workshop" right here at Crumbs. My team and I are working on getting all the details ready, so be on the lookout for some really amazing stuff!

Popular on the Blog this Week

Hold the phone. I just found out you can regrow food in water without dirt. Could gardening get any better when you have two black thumbs?

I think not. And my black thumbs aren't the only reason I've been hesitant to garden. It can be costly too, but ever since I found ways to water my garden for free, I'm all over it.


  Read More Here  
Learn how to stretch ground beef for your next meal plan! It only takes 9 steps and it's a great strategy to know. Be sure to check out 10 steps to stretching meat at home and how to make DIY lunch meat!

Read More Here  
Learn how to save money on produce with this helpful guide. I share tips and tricks for meal planning, shopping for produce, and how to store produce.

Read More Here  

Freshly Updated

This vegetable pasta primavera recipe is versatile and easy, made with creamy cauliflower sauce and any vegetables you have in the kitchen! You can add meat if you'd like, or make it dairy-free or gluten-free if you need to.

 Read More Here 
This delicious recipe for Creamy Cauliflower Sauce is so easy, versatile, naturally gluten-free, and vegan-friendly. Use it in rice recipes, dairy-free mac and cheese, or pasta dishes like my recipe for pasta primavera.

Read More Here 

New Posts on the Blog This Week

These applesauce muffins are hands-down one of our favorite healthy muffin recipes! Made with simple, easy-to-find ingredients – likely already in your pantry – they're moist, super flavorful and delicious. Double or triple your batch and freeze ahead for easy "go-to" breakfasts or desserts. Serve with my Instant Pot breakfast casserole.

 Read More Here 

No comments:

Post a Comment