Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Eat & Live Goodness With Sharon Palmer, October 2021

View this email in your browser

October 2021
My Cancer Story 

Keeping it real: The morning after my cancer diagnosis

One month ago, I joined the ranks of the 18 million people worldwide who will be diagnosed with cancer. Yes, I'm part of a great big family, even though my particular cancer—a type of lymphoma—is quite rare, with only 450 new cases diagnosed each year in the US. And just like everyone who hears the dreaded word "cancer," I've been on my own private journey, which I've decided to make public today. Certainly, it gives me pause to be open about something that causes so much discomfort, both to the individual fighting cancer and to those surrounding them. But as a dietitian in the public, I hope I can provide a forum for discussion on how to fight this disease, as there are just so many of us out there dealing with it, and I just happen to have 35+ years of professional nutrition experience to share. The good news is that the cancer battle has changed; survival rates have improved dramatically. The majority of people now diagnosed with cancer are still hanging in there at the five-year mark, thanks to earlier detection and improved treatments.

I've been enjoying my daily antioxidant smoothie, which includes berries,
kale from my garden, flax, mushrooms, matcha tea, and ginger

But life forever changes, and the journey is fraught with many challenges, from dealing with the anxiety of the unknown and the side effects of treatment, to access to good care. For me, as it is with so many others, the fight started with wondering how it came to be in the first place. "How could this happen to me? I'm eating and living the cancer-fighting lifestyle." Indeed! Yet, I have moved past this, reflecting that my lifestyle is probably what staved off cancer all these years, as lymphoma commonly afflicts even the young. I am also reminded that we live in a polluted world, where the impacts of environmental risks on cancer—in particular lymphomas—have been documented; pesticides, herbicides, and other work-related chemical exposures have been linked with increased risk. Though it's important to note we don't have enough research in this area to fully understand these risks. What I do know is that healthy eating and lifestyle can significantly increase your chances of surviving cancer, as well as decrease your risk of developing another cancer or heart disease—a common side effect of this disease. So, I want to hear from you about your own health journey. Even if it's not cancer you're facing, is it another life-altering disease staring you down? How has your lifestyle impacted your disease management and treatment? What works for you and what doesn't? What challenges do you face on your road to recovery? Drop a comment on my blog or social media at Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook. I'm going to share tidbits from my own personal and professional experiences of fighting cancer, from my daily antioxidant smoothies (see above) to my stress reduction routine, as I focus on wellness and disease protection all month long. 

With Love and Gratitude, 
Fight Cancer with Your Fork
To inspire you this month with expert advice on fighting disease, I'm sharing my Live Chat with well-known cancer nutrition expert, Karen Collins, MS, RDN here. She shares the latest knowledge on diet and cancer. 
Dive into Fall Fruits and Vegetables!
Power up on wellness by falling into the flavors of autumn with these top fall fruits and vegetables and my 6 tips for making the most of fall produce here
Instagram Plant-Powered Live Show
Stay tuned for my wellness advice and cooking classes 0n my Instagram Live show Thursdays at 3 pm PT. Follow me for updates on my show schedule on Instagram @SharonPalmerRD. 
Healthy Fall Snacks
Fall is here! Which means it's the perfect time to dive into seasonal, healthful snack choices. I'm giving my top tips on the best in fall snacking in this US News article.
 

Thrive Market
Check out one of my favorite online purveyors of healthful, plant-based, organic foods, Thrive Market. Join here and get 25% off!
Instant Pot
Make healthy, delicious plant-based cooking the easy way! I love to use my Instant Pot for so many recipes, from curries to soups. Grab your own here


These offers are through affiliate programs.
California Vegan is Live! 
I'm so excited to announce that my new book, California Vegan, is live at bookstores across the nation, Amazon, Apple, and my site. Get yours today!

Dairy-Free Milk Alternatives
Wondering about the benefits of switching to plant-based, dairy-free milk alternatives? And how can you pick the best options? I'm giving my best tips here in Parade Magazine.
About Sharon 
Sharon Palmer, MSFS, RD is The Plant-Powered Dietitian. She is an award-winning food and nutrition journalist based in Ojai, California. Sharon speaks, writes, and blogs about her passion for delicious, healthful, sustainable plant-based foods every day. Check out her three books, and don't forget to follow Sharon on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter and her blog. If you'd like to work with Sharon, please contact her here.
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest
LinkedIn
YouTube
Copyright © 2021 Sharon Palmer, RD, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you opted in at our website.

Our mailing address is:
Sharon Palmer, RD
PO Box 967
Ojai, CA 93024

Add us to your address book


Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

No comments:

Post a Comment