Sunday, June 13, 2021

A Super Summery Must-Make Berry Dessert

Mixed berry galette.

Last August, I published yet another galette recipe on the blog. With the birth of this sixth galette baby, I thought my galette family of recipes was complete, the collection including both sweet and savory characters with personalities ranging from citrus-scented to bourbon-spiked, their birthdays spanning the seasons.

But last week, in preparation for a galette-making class I was teaching, I found myself facing this predicament: stone fruit, my favorite to use in this dessert, are not yet in season, but rhubarb, currently abounding at the market, is not everybody's favorite.

This left me with the berry category, a logical choice this time of year, but I had never made a galette with berries — shocking, I know — and, if I'm being honest, I was feeling a little daunted by the potential experiments before me: Would blueberries alone be boring? Would I need to use cornstarch? Lemon? If I used a variety of berries, what would be the optimal mix?

In other words: How many darn galettes would I have to make before my class to get it right?

It turns out just two! At the start of the week, I made one with all blueberries. Remembering a text and a photo from my cousin Kristina last summer, who had made a blueberry galette without cornstarch or lemon, I chose to do the same. It turned out beautifully — the berries didn't release enough juices to warrant using a thickening agent, and because the berries in this recipe aren't tossed with any sugar, it didn't taste too sweet.

That said, although it was delicious and quickly demolished, I found myself wanting more variety both in texture and flavor. And so on the night of my class, I made a galette with a mix of berries: equal parts blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries, about a pound altogether.

Friends! I know better than to pick a favorite child, but that gal was my favorite to date. Find the recipe and watch the video here. Hope you love her, too!

Mixed Berry Summer Galette video.

PS: If you have struggled with homemade pie dough in the past, please give this recipe and method a try.

The pastry recipe comes from David Lebovitz, but I learned the method many years ago from a French woman, Caroline Cazaumayou. In short, Caroline makes her pastry in the food processor, pulsing the dough as minimally as possible, then uses a tea towel to shape the dough into a perfect round.

This tea towel trick achieves two things:

  1. A tender crust, because the crumbly dough ensures it has not been overworked.
  2. A perfectly round shape, the ideal starting point for many a pie and/or tart.

The method is truly foolproof and the pastry comes out buttery and flaky every time.

At the end of the video, I make a batch of the pastry dough by hand, so skip ahead if you don't have a food processor.

Hope you all are enjoying a beautiful weekend ☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️

Happy Cooking,


Alexandra Stafford



Love what you're reading? Click here to receive an alert every time I post a new recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment