Tuesday, April 27, 2021

easy hack to save $25/month on ONE food

Hi Reader,

My husband and I have had many conversations that stop me in my tracks.

Him: Can we eat real food? 
Me: What do you mean? Aren't boxed cake mixes and frozen pizzas food? They're real - surely I'm not imagining them?!

Him: Can we eat real food… and not increase the budget?
Me: Um… haven't you heard? "Real food" is expensive. I can't shop at Whole Foods (a.k.a. Whole Paycheck). Besides, I don't even own yoga pants!

Him: Can you make homemade bread?
Me: WHAT?! Did you know bread requires yeast… and kneading, and rising, and more kneading and more rising… basically, it's the most difficult thing to make from scratch, ever! Only super-bakers and Suzie-homemakers make bread. I have two toddlers and a part-time job!

Oddly enough, the issue that I was most against (making bread) was the solution to our biggest problem (eating real food on a budget).

I realized that one loaf of homemade bread could cost as little as 25¢. Compared to what I was spending at the store for the "healthy" bread, I was saving at least $3 per loaf.

Multiply that loaf times two a week (often more!), then times 4 weeks every month and the savings couldn't be ignored. (That's $25 for the math-challenged, which was a big chunk of our $350/month budget.)

If you're new to making bread, I encourage you to start with recipes that absolutely cannot fail. My favorites are (in this order):

These are the four bread recipes I toggled between for over two years, because my family loved them and they turned out perfect every time.

Plus, you don't need any special tools for the first three, and only a couple loaf pans for the last one!

Happy Bread-baking, and Cheers to Saving Money!
♥ Tiffany

PS - We've been baking sourdough for the past couple years, and while it's not "hard" so to speak, it does require more patience and a few more tools - specifically a banneton (a proofing basket to hold the dough as it rises), a bread lame (a rod with a razor to slash the bread) and a scraper (to divide the sticky dough without getting your hands messy and ruining the loaf!).

Thankfully, MadeTerra has everything you need AND you can save 10% when you use the coupon code DWC10! (Tip: Right now you can ALSO save 15% when you buy any 2 bundles from their Baking Tools Collection. Stack that with the 10% coupon DWC10 and you're saving 25% on must-have sourdough tools!

Here's your special link to save on sourdough tools!

Popular on the Blog this Week

These Crockpot Chicken Fajitas turn out so flavorful, juicy and tender! Made with just 4 ingredients, they're nearly hands off, and freezer-friendly! Serve with easy homemade salsa, guacamole, and lime crema.

Read More Here
Healthy and easy recipe for whole wheat Einkorn sourdough bread that uses 100% whole grain einkorn flour & a sourdough starter.

Read More Here
Having a stash of dump dinner recipes in my freezer is totally rocking my world. Here's a plan to get seven dump dinners (like beef ragu and slow cooker carnitas) in the freezer in just one hour!

Read More Here

Freshly Updated

$50 a week meal plan for a family of four includes a real food menu for breakfast, lunches, and dinners, plus a downloadable shopping list! It's a perfect plan for when money is tight, or use it to increase your savings.

Read More Here

New Posts on the Blog This Week

This artisan no knead bread recipe is so easy and so cheap! It's perfect for beginner bakers, requires minimal work, and it tastes great every time!

Read More Here

No comments:

Post a Comment