Friday, December 30, 2022

🎉 My Favorite Ways to Add Protein to a Smoothie 🎉

Hey there reader!

In a couple of days, I'm going to send out the email for the first smoothie. So if you haven't got your ingredients yet, you still have time. Also, don't worry if you want to start later - jump in whenever you're ready.

Today, I want to chat about adding protein to smoothies.

A question I often get about smoothies is, "Do they fill me up?" or "Is there enough protein to keep me satisfied?".

My answer to this is yes! I fill my smoothies with fiber, protein, and healthy fats, which helps keep me full until morning snack time and sometimes to lunch.

So, I enjoy smoothies in my everyday life as a meal replacement.

The second question is, "what do I use to add protein to a smoothie"?

Here are my favorites.

First and foremost, If you want to add 20+ grams of protein to your smoothie quickly, I recommend using collagen powder or protein powder.

Let me give you a quick breakdown.

Collagen Powder

Collagen is made from cattle hides, which I know sounds gross, but collagen has many huge benefits! It can help in many ways, from skin health and elasticity to bone health, to help your hair look amazing. I've been using collagen powder in my smoothies for over two years, and I love how it makes me feel and look.

I use Thrive Market Collagen Peptides; it's made from grass-fed, pasture-raised cows. Just like with everything- quality is everything! One scoop is 20 grams of protein and 40 calories.

Also, this collagen is tasteless and doesn't have a gritty texture. It creates a thick creamy smoothie, so if you want a thinner consistency, you'll need to use more liquid.

You can get flavored Thrive Market collagen, but I prefer the unflavored one. A 20-ounce bag sells for $25.99. This great price alone makes the Thrive Market membership worth it.

Protein Powder

I prefer collagen powder over protein powder because it's natural, blends better, and doesn't leave an aftertaste. However, a plant-based protein powder is an excellent option if you're vegetarian or vegan.

I like Garden of Life Raw Organic Unflavored Vegan Protein Powder; it doesn't use stevia like other protein powders, so there's no artificial aftertaste. However, it still has a mild flavor and doesn't blend as smoothly as collagen.

A lot of my readers use this protein powder brand and love it. A 20-ounce container sells for under $34 online at Thrive Market, which is cheaper than most grocery stores. You can also find it at most major grocery stores in the natural food section.

Personally, I don't like the Vega brand at all, I think it leaves a horrible aftertaste and barely blends into a smoothie.

It is a personal preference, so my advice is to test out different collagen and protein powder options to see which one you like best.

Here are my favorite whole-food ingredients to use in smoothies for extra protein.

Kale. Believe it or not, kale has 3 grams of protein per cup! So the first thing you can do to up the protein in a smoothie is to make it green. You get protein, and kale is high in vitamins A, C, and Calcium.

Avocado. Did you know 1/2 of an avocado has 2 grams of protein and 7 grams fiber? It also provides good fats to your smoothie; all three of these things will work together to keep you full between meals.

Greek Yogurt. One of the first ways I started adding protein to my smoothies was with greek yogurt. My favorite greek yogurt is Siggi because it's lower in sugar than many other brands! That's one of the things you need to be careful with when adding yogurt- all of the sugar content. Some greek yogurts can have up to 20 grams of protein per serving. I recommend using plain greek yogurt to keep sugars under control; about ⅓ cup has about 4 grams of protein.

Nut Butters. Adding a tablespoon of nut butter is a great way to boost the protein in a smoothie! Not to mention it's delicious! One tablespoon of almond butter or peanut butter equals about 4 grams of protein.

Here are a couple of things to keep in mind with nut butter:

  1. Use organic natural nut butter. You don't want to use anything with added sugar or hydrogenated oils.
  2. You need to measure out the nut butter. 1 tablespoon of almond or peanut butter is 100 calories and 9 grams of fat.

Chia Seeds. Chia seeds are one of my favorite superfoods to add to smoothies. You'll find them in all of the smoothie challenge recipes. You can find chia seeds in the baking aisle in the grocery store. Or check out your local wholesale store. You can also add them to your cart online at Thrive Market.

They are packed with all kinds of nutrition. 2 tablespoons of chia seeds can provide 4 grams of protein. They are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and other nutrients!

Shopping note: Check out my smoothie ingredient list on Thrive Market to easily add these items into your basket.

You can add any of these ingredients to your smoothie when you want extra protein. My only recommendation is to pay attention because not only will these ingredients add protein, but the calories and fat will also increase. If you are using smoothies to lose weight, this is something to keep in mind.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reply and ask.

Okay, I'll pop into your inbox with our first smoothie soon. I hope you're excited; I know I am.

Talk to you soon.

Tammy Overhoff

No comments:

Post a Comment